Here are a few Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes that will attract these beautiful birds to your home and garden!
As these beautiful birds are attracted to the sweet nectar produced by flowers, some homemade recipes can mimic the natural nectar and can be a good substitute for their natural food. Read this article that lists some of the best and easy Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes.
Here are DIY Hummingbird Feeder Ideas
Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes
1. Basic Hummingbird Nectar Recipe
This is a basic recipe for hummingbird food and can be made with 1 part white granulated sugar and four parts of water. Just heat the water until boiling, then stir in the sugar until it dissolves completely.
Allow the mixture to cool before filling your hummingbird feeder. It is one of the best Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes.
Learn how to make a hanging bird water feeder here
2. Agave Nectar Hummingbird Food Recipe
Use 1 part agave nectar and three parts water to make this another recipe. Ensure that you mix the agave nectar and water together really well.
Allow the mixture to cool before filling your hummingbird feeder. You can buy agave nectar from the market or an online store.
Check out the Best Yellow Hummingbird Plants You Can Grow to Attract Them here
3. Honey Hummingbird Food Recipe
In this method, use 1 part honey and four parts water. Mix the honey and water together until the honey dissolves completely. Allow this hummingbird food to cool before filling your feeder. It is one of the best Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes.
4. Natural Color and Sugar Water
Hummingbirds love the color red, and the color is something that they are most attracted to. Use some edible red color in the sugar water so that more birds will be attracted.
Note: Artificial colors or sweeteners are harmful to birds, so avoid them at any cost.
Check out some strange flowers that look like birds here
5. Ripe banana Recipe
Although hummingbirds mostly feed on nectar, you can also use fruits. Mash ripe bananas and mix them with water to make sweet, fruit-based nectar. It is one of the best Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes.
6. Orange Juice
Get some fresh oranges and squeeze juice from them to make this hummingbird food. Mix the juice with sugar water in a ratio of 1:4, and you will have citrus-flavored nectar.
Here are the Best Plants for Hummingbirds
Mashed fresh berries, such as strawberries or raspberries, can be used to make homemade hummingbird food. After choosing the ripe berries, mix them with water in a ratio of 1:4 to make berry-flavored nectar. It is one of the best Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes.
Apple is another fruit in the list that can be used as a substitute to make some fresh food for hummingbirds.
Cut fresh apples into small pieces and blend them with water to make fruity nectar. Make sure your strain the mixture properly before adding it to the feeder.
Here are DIY Butterfly Feeder Ideas + Quick Liquid Butterfly Food Recipe
9. Hibiscus Hummingbird Nectar
Flower nectar is the natural food for hummingbirds, and we can use some flowers to make homemade food recipes for these birds.
- Use half cup of water, half a cup of sugar, and half a cup of hibiscus flower to make this recipe.
- Boil the water and sugar in a saucepan and add the hibiscus flowers to it.
- Simmer it for 5 minutes and remove the solution from the heat, and you are done.
- Ensure that you put the mixture through a fine mesh sieve before using it. It is one of the best Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes.
10. Lilac Hummingbird Nectar
Lilac flower is another best way to make a hummingbird food recipe for your bird feeder.
- You will need 1 cup of water, 1 cup of lilac flowers, and 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Boil the water and sugar in a saucepan, add the lilac flowers, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve before using it.