These DIY Railing Planter Ideas can create more space and provide an appealing visual interest to your balcony garden.
Beautify your porch and balconies with these stunning DIY Railing Planter Ideas displaying your favorite plants and flowers in style!
Check out the best trailing foliage plants here
DIY Railing Planter Ideas
1. The Charm of Railing Planters
2. Beautiful Railing Planters and Geraniums
Beth and Bill did a balcony transformation by hanging railing planters filled with amazing low-care geraniums. Read the full story here!
3. Try Thriller-Spiller-Filler Technique
In this planter, the snake plant and purple salvia are used as a thriller, Russian kale as a filler, and sedum and creeping jenny as the spiller.
Learn more about this technique here.
4. Grow Annuals
Annuals are the ultimate choice to grow in the balcony railing planters. Get yourself the prettiest varieties.
5. Black Railing Planter to Match Every Plant
Black color goes well with everything and if your summers are cool, hang black planter boxes over a railing to grow your favorite flowers.
6. Use Rain Gutters Instead of Window Boxes
You can use plastic or metal gutter. Cut the length of the gutter as much as you want and fit the end caps. Make some drainage holes and add your favorite plants. Learn more here.
Check out some stunning DIY rain gutter garden ideas here.
7. Select Great Plant Combinations
Show off amazing flower combinations of contrasting colors in your balcony railing planters, just like the one above.
8. Grow Shade Tolerant Plants in Shady Balcony
Grow plants like coleus if your balcony is not sunny. Also, check out our list of shade-tolerant succulents to learn about more plant choices.
9. Grow Herbs in Hanging Planters
Infuse aroma in your balcony or deck by planting herbs in your railing planters. This way, you’ll have a fresh supply of cooking herbs available all the time.
Find out the best herbs for hanging baskets here.
10. Railing Planters Increase the Vertical Space
Railing planters are the best way to increase vertical space in your balcony garden.
Check out some stunning vertical garden ideas for balconies here
11. Balcony Railing Planters behind the Glass Walls
Balcony railing planters look exceptionally gorgeous with glass walls of a balcony, just like this one.
12. Railing Planters in Metal Frame
If not the railing planters that can hang, you can also choose a frame-like structure to hold your pots and window boxes like this blogger here.
13. Colorful Planters Lined up
Instead of big window boxes, lining up individual colorful planters can make your balcony more interesting.
14. Railing Planters Boost the Curb Appeal
Railing planters, if planted wisely, can alone boost the curb appeal of your home. You can hang wooden planters on railings as well.
15. Growing Vegetables in Railing Planters
Grow your favorite herbs and dwarf vegetables like cherry tomatoes, greens, peas, radishes, and carrots in an averagely sized balcony railing planter, as shown above.
Check out some amazing container vegetable garden ideas here.
16. How about Growing Succulents
If low-maintenance succulents are your favorite plants, grow them in your balcony railing planters.
17. Use Tin Cans as Railing Planters
Instead of buying railing planters, you can recycle tin cans or other plastic containers to grow herbs.
Check out some more DIY planter ideas here.
18. Handbags and Grow Bags as Railing Planters
Upcycle handbags or grow bags and use them as railing planters. We found this idea here.
19. Pouch Railing Planter
You can also opt for an incongruous pouch railing planter like this. It’s unique!
20. Use Plant Stands, Pot Holders, or Flower Pot Rack
In place of usual railing planters, use regular pots you’ve got. Get plant stands, pot holders, or flower pot racks to place them on railings.
Find out some stunning balcony railing design pictures here
21. Galvanized Railing Planter
22. Beautiful Flower Box for Deck or Balcony
23. A Succulent Garden By the Railing
Install assembled metal shelves on either side of the railing and display your favorite succulents in them.
24. Sturdy Railing Planter for Ornamental Flowers
A small and sturdy railing planter will help you beautify balconies and porch with pretty blooms and vines.
25. Wooden Flower Bed for Railings
A wooden plant box will add to the aesthetics of your porch. Use it to grow pastel flowers for an added charm. Learn more here.
26. Small Pallet Blox for Herbs and Microgreens
You can easily grow herbs, leafy greens, and microgreens in a small pallet box installed on the balcony wall that receives plenty of bright sunlight.