Ever wondered Where Do Pine Nuts Come From, and what makes them so expensive? Read in detail to learn about these sweet and buttery seeds in this article!
So, What is a Pine Nut?
Other Names–Pignoli, Pinoli, Pinon, Indian Nut, Chilgoza, Cedar Nuts
Pine nuts are the edible seeds of Pinyon Pine trees. These delicious seeds are a common ingredient in Japanese, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Aghani, and Russian Cuisine. If you wonder why are they so expensive, it is because of the amount of time a tree takes to grow them. On average, a pine tree needs about 10-12 years to mature before it starts to grow the pine seeds.
Pine Nuts Fact: There are approximately 20 species of pine trees that produce edible seeds.
Where Do Pine Nuts Come From?
Pine nuts come from the Pinyon Pine Trees. The two main species of Pine trees that are most famous for delicious edible seeds are Chilgoza Pine and Korean Pine. These nuts are native to the United States, and countries in Europe, America, and Asia are the largest producers.
Talking country wise, China and Korea are the biggest producers of pine nuts, followed by Afganistan. Korean pine nut (Pinus koraiensis), the primary type, comes from the countries Mongolia, China, and Korea. In contrast, Chilgoza Pine nut (Pinus Gerardiana), is native to the Northwest Himalayan regions like Afganistan, Pakistan, and India.
In Europe and the Middle East, pine nuts come from Swiss Pine and Stone Pine trees, found in Poland, Germany, France, Italy, Isreal, and Syria. Russia and Mongolia are the biggest producers of Siberian pine nuts (Pinus Sibirica) in the world.
Pine Nuts Nutrition Facts
Pine nuts are calorie-rich seeds. One hundred grams of pine nuts carry 673 calories. They also contain Fat, Carbohydrates, Fiber, and Sugar. Pine nuts have numerous health benefits as they are also abundant in Vitamin-E, Vitamin-K, Thiamin, and Riboflavin.
- Pine nuts are a rich source of healthy Polysaturated fats, known to improve heart health and reduce levels of cholesterol.
- They are also a rich source of proteins and diet-friendly fiber, promoting satiety.
- They are a rich source of vegan iron and copper, making them perfect for vegetarians!
Also Read: 10 Science-Backed Benefits of Rosemary
How To Grow It?
- Pine trees take around 10-12 years to mature and another 1-2 years for the tree to produce nuts.
- Korean pine or Swiss stone pine tree are some of the best varieties to grow.
- These trees can grow up to 100 feet tall, so make sure you have enough space when you decide to grow them!
- Pine trees thrive best in sandy and alkaline soil with good organic material.
- As Pine trees are wind-pollinated, provide good air circulation between them.
Also Read: What’s an Avocado