Is Pineapple a Citrus Fruit or a Berry? Wondering about what this fruit actually is? Clear all your doubts with this article!
One of the most popular tropical fruits, pineapple belongs to the Bromeliads family and grows in a small shrub. It has an aromatic and juicy pulp inside and thorny tough skin outside that is crowned with thick leaves. All of you, who are confused that Is Pineapple a Citrus Fruit or a Berry, will find all their answers in this article!
Check out our article on growing pineapple indoors here
Is Pineapple a Citrus Fruit?
Citrus fruit is a genus of the rue family, Rutaceae. However, pineapple belongs to the Bromeliaceae family. This makes pineapple botanically very dissimilar from citrus fruit. Unlike many citrus fruits like lemon, orange, and grapefruit, pineapple does not grow from seeds. It contains vitamin C and ascorbic acid but not citric acid. Hence, it is not a citrus fruit.
Is Pineapple a Berry?
According to the definition, a berry is a fruit produced from an ovary of a single flower, consisting of seed and pulp. As for the name, it is neither pine nor an apple. It grows when many fruit-producing flowers fuse to form a single fruit. So, it is a bunch of berries grown together in a central stalk and this makes pineapple, a berry!
Nutritional Values of Pineapple
- Pineapple has vitamin c, which boosts immunity.
- The antioxidants present in it protects cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Like many fruits and vegetables, pineapple contains dietary fibers, which are an essential part of a balanced diet.
- It has significant use in folk medicine since early times.
- Eating pineapple aids in weight loss. It also helps in digestion too.
- Eating pineapple makes teeth, hair, and skin healthy.
Pineapple is a versatile berry. It is fit for making many desserts like cake, sorbet, ice cream, cookies, and pie. Its juice is fascinating in marinating meat, which gives it a sweet and sour flavor. It makes spectacular cocktails, martini, and even wines.
- You can grill small pieces of pineapple that make for a great quick snack.
- Pineapple is also the key ingredient in the famous Mexican dish Pineapple Pico de Gallo Salsa.
- Pineapple Bun Burgers are another great way to relish them!
- You can also enjoy them with chicken by making Baja Chicken Bowls.
- Pulled Pork Tacos with Pineapple Slaw is another mouthwatering way to add pineapple to your platter!