Follow the post and learn How to Get a Snake Plant to Bloom! Yes. It is possible! Read ahead to know how to do it the right way.
You might have never seen a snake plant flower as it’s quite rare. However, it is possible for you to experience it if you follow the right steps. Let’s have a look at some tricks on How to Get a Snake Plant to Bloom!
Here’s everything you need to know about growing Snake Plants
Do Snake Plants Flower?
The straight answer to the question is, Yes! They do! This happens once annually, usually during spring or summer, if the conditions meet. However, it is still extremely uncommon but possible. You also have to bear the fact in mind that if you have grown Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Hahnii,’ then it won’t bloom, no matter what.
Snake Plant Flower Appearance
Snake plant flowers grow around tall spikes or stalks. The stalks grow up to several inches or feet tall and are full of small, lily, or honeysuckle-like, tubular, cream, green, or white narrow-petaled clusters of blooms–all this depends on the type of snake plant.
According to the variety, some cultivars have white with a hint of mauve or lavender. Some species show off bright red blossoms. Some varieties of mother-in-law’s tongue do not have a flower stalk, and they directly blossom from the base in huge clusters.
Snake Plant Flower Smell
The snake plant flowers are highly fragrant and emit a spicy vanilla-like scent that you can’t compare with anything. The blooms also produce sweet-scented nectar, so much in fact that it can drip down the stalk!
Flowers close in the daytime and open up during the night. The fragrance becomes very strong after it gets dark.
How Long Do Snake Plant Blooms Last?
The flowers can last for a couple of weeks to a month. Make sure to prune the flower stalks from the base when they die back to preserve energy and display a neat appearance.
Do Snake Plants Die After Flowering?
No. The plants will keep on thriving once they have bloomed. The flowers will turn into orange berries and the stalks will die eventually.
How to Get a Snake Plant to Bloom?
There’s no guarantee that the snake plant you have will bloom. However, there are certain factors that might help it flower.
- The best way to make snake plants bloom is to keep them in a root-bound stage and expose them to a lot of sunlight. Most people keep this in extremely low light or shade, which will prevent the plant from flowering.
- Keeping them outdoors or near a window that receives some direct light can induce flowering.
- When the plant is watered less and is kept in good light, it grows quickly, thereby filling up the pot in no time. When the roots have no more space to grow and the pot gets filled with them, the plant flowers to propagate itself.
- Generally, new and young snake plants do not flower. You will have more chances of flowering with an aged specimen, so get a mature one.
- Keeping the plant in a slightly stressed state, along with low fertilization, can also trick it into blooming flowers.
- Avoid keeping the plant in shade for a longer duration of time. Always make sure that the plant gets a minimum of 3-4 hours of direct sun each day. The best bet is to keep it near an east-facing window.
- Do not overwater the plant in any case.
- Avoid keeping the plant near an AC or heating vent. Make sure it is not exposed to sudden temperature changes. Also, take the plant outdoors only when the danger of frost has passed away.
- It is best to use a growing medium designed specifically for cacti and succulents.
The Bottom Line
These pointers will certainly help it bloom, but these serve no surety that doing this will make every snake plant flower! It seems certain conditions force this amazing houseplant to bloom, or you can say these plants have a mind of their own when it comes to blooming.