Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Cats and Dogs?

Meet our Editorial Team, a collection of expert gardeners, writers, and DIY aficionados committed to delivering top-notch content. From organic gardening and indoor plant care to culinary arts and home improvements, we cover a wide spectrum of topics to enrich your life.
Learn About Our Editorial Policy

2-Minute Read

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Cats & Dogs? Find out all the details in our complete guide, and ensure your beloved pet’s safety!

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Cats and Dogs

Want to know—Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Cats & Dogs? Here’s a detailed guide which will clear all your doubts.

Botanical Name: Euphorbia pulcherrima

Common Names: Easter flower, Christmas flower, Pappagallo, Flor de Pascua, Euphorbia, Pastora, Mexican flame leaf, Painted leaf, Fleur Pentecôte, Lobster flower plant, Étoile de Noël.

Check out our article on how to grow Poinsettias here

Are Poinsettias Toxic to Cats & Dogs?


A study by the Department of Environmental Science and Policy, Italy, states that the plant has a milky latex, a strong irritant. The agents responsible for the harmful detergent-like effects are diterpenoid euphorbol esters and steroids that act on the mucous membranes, gastrointestinal tract, and skin.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Poinsettias are mildly toxic to Dogs and Cats due to their irritant sap that may irritate their mouth and stomach if ingested.

Another report by Purdue University states that poinsettias are mildly toxic to pets and can irritate their mouth.

According to a report by the University of Pennsylvania, toxicity from poinsettias is often exaggerated. The thick sap inside the stem is toxic, but a healthy dog or cat that eats part of the plant will only display symptoms such as vomiting, lack of appetite, and depression. Symptoms only last an hour or two and can easily be taken care of by a vet.

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Humans?

The straight answer to this question is NO. They are not. You only need to be careful when you are pruning the plant, as you can contact the sap. It can cause mild irritation to the skin, which is not common with everyone.

However, you need to make sure that the plant is not in reach of the little children as they might accidentally ingest its sap, which could cause a stomach ache with or without nausea. A person could also have a case of diarrhea though it is only in rare cases.

Treatment of Poinsettia Poisoning in Cats & Dogs

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Cats and Dogs 2

Pet Poison Helpline states that Poinsettia poisoning is generally self-limiting and typically requires medical treatment unless severe and persistent. There is no antidote for poinsettia poisoning. That said, due to the low level of toxicity seen with poinsettia ingestion, medical treatment is rarely necessary unless clinical signs are severe.

Protecting Cats & Dogs from Poinsettias


To protect your pets from poinsettia or vice versa, place the plant in a spot that would be out of their reach. You can grow it in a hanging basket or keep it on a shelf where it’ll be out of reach from pets and kids.

Recent Posts

Join our 3 Million Followers:


Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here