Follow these 11 Effective Weeding Tips for a Weed Free Garden to keep your yard neat and clean without much effort while saving your plants.
If you want to keep your plants safe from weeds, then we have some really Effective Weeding Tips for a Weed Free Garden for you.
Here are some awesome weed killer ideas you can follow
Effective Weeding Tips for a Weed Free Garden
1. Weed when it’s wet: Water your garden before doing that, as this makes the soil moist, and you’ll be able to pull out the roots of these pesky plants easily.
2. Never let the weed mature, otherwise it’ll fix its roots, grow flowers and spill its seeds. Pull up the plant with a root ball, and if you don’t find time for weeding, chop the plants and pluck the flowers.
3. A labor-free weeding trick is to cover the weeds with plastic, a rug, or mat for two to four weeks. This will do two things: Either the plants will die of darkness (no sun-no photosynthesis) or from heat.
4. Instead of weeding the whole day and suffering from back pain for the next week, weed your garden every other day for five to ten minutes. Roaming through walkways and pulling weeds when you see them is a good idea.
5. It is always hard to pluck out the weeds growing in the cracks in pavements and walkways. To kill, pour boiling water over them.
6. As seeds of weeds remain dormant under the garden soil, be careful when you dig up a spot. Don’t overturn your soil too much unless you should.
7. If you’re unable to kill tough weeds, a simple solution is to give them a dose of white vinegar; it works as a weed killer.
8. To pull out weeds from small gaps in the paving, you can use a natty hook-shaped wire weeder. They are easily available at garden centers for just a few dollars. Another simple hack is to find some big forks and steak knives that can also help the same.
9. Using a herbicide is also a good option to take care of weeds. As they penetrate only a few centimeters into the soil, weeds germinating on the top layer get killed instantly. However, this should be your last resort.
10. While growing plants, make sure that you are not leaving too much space between them. Grouping plants together leaves no room for weed growth and chokes them out.
11. Cover the weeds using cardboard or newspapers. This way, they will not get air and sun to thrive and will be dead in no time.
Weed Control Tips
1. While planting a garden bed, make sure not to leave too much space between plants. Tight garden beds restrict weeds.
2. Do mulching as much as you can. It helps in retaining moisture and doesn’t let weeds thrive in your garden. For better mulching, spread newspaper over the ground and cover it up with the 2-inch layer of compost and leaves.
3. Don’t throw weeds in a compost pile unless you can provide a temperature over 120 F (49 C), which is required to kill weed seeds.
Some Weeds are Good Weeds!
Many varieties of weeds are edible and have some benefits too. You can add them to your salad bowl. For instance, Purslane, Wild Amaranth or Pigweed, Lamb’s Quarters, Queen Anne’s Lace, Winter Cress, Chickweed, and such, to name a few.
These weeds are rich in Vitamins A, B Complex, and C, calcium, trace minerals, and enzymes, and are also high in protein. We have an amazing article on edible weeds here.
Thanks for the tips on eliminating weeds. I want to improve the look of my lawn so I can be proud of it, but weeds are always a problem. Thanks for mentioning that wet weeds come out easier. I will keep that in mind.
I have tried with my lawn and I have come to realize that as long as it is green, it stays! lol
Weeds here to stay! Placing a cute lawn ornament next to them makes them look almost presentable!
It’s awesome that you talked about making sure weeds never mature and makes seeds. My younger sister is looking to hire a weed control service to keep her garden looking good. I’ll be sure to talk to her about hiring before weeds mature.
I really liked your idea about weeding the garden every other day for five to ten minutes to prevent any back pain. I never really thought to do this and I have back pain a lot because I always weed on Saturdays. I will be sure to try this out for my garden, but I think that I’ll hire someone to take care of our weeding for the rest of our lawn.
It’s interesting to know that a great tip to get rid of weed in your garden is to cover it with plastic for a couple of weeks. My husband and I are thinking about starting a garden project, and we are looking for advice about how to get rid of the weed. I will let him read your article to help him understand how to get rid of that problem to make our garden look beautiful.
Cover crops are a sneaky way to reduce weeds as well as build soil. If you have a new garden site and want to reduce the weeds, you can plant a fast growing, dense cover crop like buckwheat which is often affectionally called a ‘smother crop’ for its ability to crowd out weeds. It s also is a great soil builder when tilled or dug into the soil. Just be sure to cut cover crops down before they set seeds. You can also use perennial cover crops like clover as pathway plants between raised beds to reduce weeds and entice pollinators.