Do you know the fascinating story behind the State Flower of Kentucky? Let’s look at it and learn how to grow it!
Do you know about the State Flower of Kentucky? Want to know when and how it was proclaimed? Keep reading!
Here are some of the best flowers for a balcony garden
State Flower of Kentucky
- The botanical name of the State Flower of Kentucky is Solidago gigantea.
- When the state was still deciding which flower should be the official of Kentucky, the War Department stated that the Goldenrod should be chosen because of its connection with the state militia.
- There are around 30 types of Goldenrods that you can easily find in Kentucky.
- Solidago Odora, a variety of Sweet Goldenrod, is the state herb of Delaware.
- The sweet Goldenrod is also the official state flower of Nebraska.
Find out the best perennial flowers of here
Kentucky State Flower Cultural Significance
- The State Flower of Kentucky is culturally related to poetry and art.
- Giant Goldenrod became a symbol of riches and fortune, thanks to its bright and vivid color.
- These flowers are also a symbol of good luck.
How to Grow State Flower for Kentucky
The plant is not fussy about the soil and can grow well in the regular garden growing medium. For best growth, amend the soil with plenty of organic matter. Also, make sure it is well draining.
4. Temperature and Humidity
These flowers grow well in the USDA zones between 2a-8b. The plant loves low to moderate humidity levels of 40-45 percent.