Roses are the loveliest and one the most fragrant flowers. We all love to grow them. But do you know how to care roses? Read these simple rose care tips and find out.
Rose Care Tips
1. The first and most important thing is to choose a variety that is suitable for your climate and grows in similar growing conditions like yours.
2. Consider temperature, light, humidity, watering and soil type. Every rose variety has its specific requirements, do proper research before planting.
3. Roses need at least six hours of sunlight to bloom heavily. They don’t grow in shade but there are some varieties like David Austin, grace and lady of shallots that thrive in partial shade, too.
4. Roses prefer slightly acidic to rich neutral soil. Too acidic or too alkaline soil makes it difficult to take nutrition from soil, causes chlorosis and other problems.
5. Soil should normally be not a very heavy mixture of clay, sand and many organic substances.
6. Roses love water, water deeply two three times in a week in summer and once a week in other seasons. But you should know that the plant does not like stagnant water.
7. Pour a lot of water deeply and regularly. Roots will be intensified, dust will settle, which will help the plant to grow strongly.
8. Don’t plant roses near the trees and shrubs with rich and deep root system because their roots easily suck water and nutrients from the soil and weaken the rose plant.
9. Put about 2-4 inch thick mulch around your rose plant to limit the evaporation of water. It also nourishes the soil, keeps the soil cool in summer, insulate in winter and limit pests and weeds.
10. Apply 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in one gallon of water in beginning of growing season to promote strong growth.
11. Pruning is essential to keep rose in shape, maintain healthy plant and get more blooms. Prune roses when new growth starts. Its time varies according to variety and hardiness zone.